Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Two Little Quilts

My two newest nephews were born this summer, and came to visit for Labor Day weekend. They each brought their parents with them, along with assorted siblings, cousins, aunts, and uncles. Actually, it turned into an entire family reunion, and a good time was had by all.

So, I was motivated to finish up their baby quilts ...


The sewn-by-hand center parts were done a while ago (blogged here and here), and I love how they're the same design, but look so different. 

Anyhow, I took my time figuring out what else to include in the quilts ... I'm really happy with the way they turned out.

The letters were lots of fun! (I've mentioned quilty letters a few times, including here and here. You can also click the "Quilts with Letters" label in my blog sidebar.)

 

I stitched the cute little names to matching pieces of fabric, and added the English Paper Piecing portion of the quilt. 

Then, I pebble-quilted most of the quilt on the sewing machine. That was fun. This was the first time I've tried this on a baby quilt. Love it!

 

I added some big-stitch hand-quilting around the center section of each ...


The backing for both is a really cute Winnie The Pooh fabric that I've had for a long time, just waiting for the right project! The quilting looks neat from the back, too.


For the bindings, I decided to go with pieced, multi-colored (well, multi-blue, anyway) bindings. I usually do just one fabric for the binding, but an inspiring quilt-blogger got me thinking when she said something about how most bindings are pieced anyway, so you might as well add in some variety. So, that was fun. I used most of the same fabrics that were used for the centers of the quilts.

 

So, there you have it! A couple of cute quilts for a couple of really cute nephews.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...