Friday, April 12, 2013

I love thrift stores! (And handmade lace!)

Shopping at thrift stores is a lot of fun. For one thing, fabrics from most of my favorite fabric designers are available there ... And, a person can do such cool things with thrift store shirts! So many things are such great bargains at thrift stores. 

Something I always keep an eye out for when thrift-shopping is handmade lace. I have this compulsion to "rescue" tatted lace from thrift stores. Bobbin lace, too.

Seriously.

I've seen doilies made with intricate handmade lace, for a dollar! Unbelievable. I have to buy them. This is because I've made handmade lace, and I know how much work (TIME!) goes into all those tiny knots and twists in handmade lace!

Tatted lace edging

So ... the other day, I saw this cute tiny dress (gown? slip?) on a hanger at the thrift store, for two dollars. It had teeny, tiny lace on it. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was miniscule TATTED lace!

Tatted lace on baby gown

Very, very tiny. Itty bitty.

Tiny handmade tatted lace edging

On the ruffled hem, not to mention all around the neck and armholes.

Tatted lace edging ruffle

And then, there was this pillowcase. When I asked how much it was, the cashiers conferred, and informed me that pillowcases with lace cost fifty cents; pillowcases without lace cost a quarter.

Tatted lace edging on pillowcase

So, I bought the pillowcase with tatted lace, too. For fifty cents.

Pillowcase with handmade tatted lace

I have no idea what I'll do with all this handmade lace. (Just for the record, I don't have any use right now for a baby gown, and I already have plenty of pillowcases.) 

But, honestly. this lace represents months' worth of somebody's tedious (beautiful!) handwork. And it cost me $2.50! I call that a good buy. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...